Orange Banana Tapioca
Tapioca lovers will enjoy the fruity twist that mandarin oranges and banana slices give this old-fashioned favorite. "For variety, use any type of juice concentrate instead of orange," suggests Penny Patras of Sargent, Nebraska.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 can (6 ounces) frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking tapioca
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- Dash salt
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 medium banana, sliced
- In a large saucepan, combine the water, orange juice concentrate, tapioca, sugar and salt; mix well. Let stand for 15 minutes. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened.
- Fold in the oranges. Pour into serving dishes. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until set. Garnish with banana slices.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 291 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 57mg sodium, 74g carbohydrate (57g sugars, 2g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Orange Banana Tapioca in Quick Cooking May/June 2002