Orange Apricot Muffins
Orange zest enhances the apricot flavor of these muffins shared by Lois Gelzer from Standish, Maine. "Sometimes, I substitute raisins, chopped dates or other dried fruit for the apricots," she writes.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup chopped dried apricots
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, combine the eggs, milk and oil. Stir into dry ingredients just until combined. Fold in apricots and orange zest. Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full.
- Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 187 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 38mg cholesterol, 190mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Apricot Muffins in Quick Cooking May/June 2002