Orange Applesauce Cupcakes
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 2 to 4 teaspoons orange juice
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Beat in applesauce, vanilla and orange zest. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in pecans.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups half full. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, cream butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Add orange zest and enough orange juice to achieve spreading consistency. Frost cupcakes.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 315 calories, 14g fat (6g saturated fat), 43mg cholesterol, 267mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (38g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Dec 18, 2011
This is a very moist cupcake. It is very good and extremely easy to make the cupcakes and icing. Good for something different.
Sep 27, 2010
Very enjoyable. I agree with the other viewer and if you are trying to cut fat- DONT make cupcakes! I made these for a little guy turning 5- they were a hit with young and old alike. I am always happy to find a new recipe- this one is super!
Sep 4, 2008
We loved the the Orange Applesauce Cupcakes. I made them without the pecans since both of our grandsons are allergic to nuts and they were delicious anyway. The orange peel was an added bonus. Nana B
Sep 1, 2008
Made them today for part of a birthday present....The birthday girl called and wanted the recipe....very tasty. I made them as mini muffins. Loved the orange peel. :)
Sep 1, 2008
They were great. My family loved them. For a variation the next time I make them I may use a mix of white sugar and brown sugar because I thought the brown sugar taste seemed a little strong.
Aug 26, 2008
I don't think the applesauce is a replacement for the fat in this recipe - it is a cupcake, not a muffin. If you wanted to cut back on fat, the icing would be the place to do that.
Aug 25, 2008
There is an awful lot of butter in this recipe. What is the purpose of replacing the oil with applesauce?