- 6 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 2 to 4 teaspoons orange juice
- In a mixing bowl, cream the butter and brown sugar. Add egg; beat well. Beat in applesauce, vanilla and orange peel. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda; add to creamed mixture. Stir in pecans.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups half full. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a small mixing bowl, cream butter and confectioners' sugar. Add orange peel and enough orange juice to achieve spreading consistency. Frost cupcakes. Yield: 1 dozen.
Reviews forOrange Applesauce Cupcakes
"This is a very moist cupcake. It is very good and extremely easy to make the cupcakes and icing. Good for something different."
"Very enjoyable. I agree with the other viewer and if you are trying to cut fat- DONT make cupcakes! I made these for a little guy turning 5- they were a hit with young and old alike. I am always happy to find a new recipe- this one is super!"
"We loved the the Orange Applesauce Cupcakes. I made them without the pecans since both of our grandsons are allergic to nuts and they were delicious anyway. The orange peel was an added bonus. Nana B"
"Made them today for part of a birthday present....The birthday girl called and wanted the recipe....very tasty. I made them as mini muffins. Loved the orange peel. :)"
"They were great. My family loved them. For a variation the next time I make them I may use a mix of white sugar and brown sugar because I thought the brown sugar taste seemed a little strong."
"I don't think the applesauce is a replacement for the fat in this recipe - it is a cupcake, not a muffin. If you wanted to cut back on fat, the icing would be the place to do that."
"There is an awful lot of butter in this recipe. What is the purpose of replacing the oil with applesauce?"