Orange Almond Romaine Salad
This is a healthy and colorful beginning to any meal. The almonds are wonderful when combined with the greens, oranges and the tangy dressing.—Beth Ask, Ulster, Pennsylvania
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 10 min.
- 6 tablespoons unsweetened pineapple juice
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 bunches romaine or red leaf lettuce, torn (about 12 cups)
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the first eight ingredients; shake well. In a large salad bowl, combine the lettuce, oranges and almonds. Add dressing and toss to coat. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 93 calories, 6g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 23mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 fat, 1/2 fruit.
Originally published as Orange Romaine Salad in Light & Tasty December/January 2002