I combined two recipes to make cookies with the shape and taste of sunny oranges. The whole almonds on top add an attractive finishing touch. —Valerie Belley, Saint Louis, Missouri
Recommended: 35 Cookie Recipes You Need in Your Collection
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds, toasted
- 7 drops yellow food coloring
- 3 drops red food coloring
- Whole almonds, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream shortening, 1/2 cup sugar and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg, orange peel and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour and baking soda; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Stir in chopped almonds.
- Place remaining sugar in a small bowl; stir in food coloring. Shape level tablespoons of dough into balls; roll in sugar mixture. Place 1 in. apart on parchment paper-lined baking sheets. If desired, press a whole almond onto top of each cookie.
- Bake 12-14 minutes or until bottoms are golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 3-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Orange Almond Cookies in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2015, p230