VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 pound slivered almonds
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons grated orange peel
- 1-1/2 cups butter, melted
- 1 package (16 ounces, 14x9-inch sheets) frozen phyllo dough, thawed
- 1-1/4 cups orange juice
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 3 tablespoons water
- Preheat oven to 325°. Place almonds and chocolate chips in a food processor; pulse until finely chopped. In a large bowl, combine almond mixture, sugar and orange peel. Brush a 15x10x1-in. baking pan with some of the butter.
- Unroll phyllo dough. Layer 10 sheets of phyllo in prepared pan, brushing each with butter. Keep remaining phyllo covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel to prevent it from drying out. Sprinkle with a third of the almond mixture. Repeat layers twice. Top with remaining phyllo sheets, brushing each with butter. Cut into 1-in. diamonds. Bake 50-60 minutes or until golden brown. Meanwhile, in a saucepan, combine syrup ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 20 minutes.
- In a small heavy saucepan, heat chocolate and water over very low heat until melted and smooth, stirring constantly. Pour syrup over warm baklava; drizzle with chocolate mixture. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack. Refrigerate, covered, several hours or overnight. Serve at room temperature. Yield: about 6 dozen.
Originally published as Orange-Almond Choclava in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2016, p190