"This flourless cake has become a favorite at our house," Maryalice Wood writes from Langley, British Columbia. "Now, those with wheat allergies don't have to pass on dessert. The orange and clove flavor is wonderful."
Recommended: 78 Christmas Potluck Desserts for 12 or More
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1/2 teaspoon plus 4 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup ground almonds, toasted
- 1/4 teaspoon confectioners' sugar
- Place egg whites in small bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Coat a 6-in. round baking pan with cooking spray and sprinkle bottom and sides with 1/2 teaspoon sugar. Line pan with waxed paper and coat the paper; set aside.
- In a small bowl, beat egg yolks for 2 minutes. Gradually beat in 2 tablespoons sugar. Add the orange peel, cloves and salt; beat 1 minute longer. Stir in almonds.
- With clean beaters, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form. Stir a third of egg white mixture into almond mixture. Gradually fold in remaining egg whites. Spread evenly into prepared pan.
- Bake at 375° for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack. Gently remove waxed paper. Cool completely. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Orange Almond Cake in Cooking for 2 Summer 2008, p35