A pantry standby, tuna takes on a new dimension in this appealing open-faced sandwich from the U.S. Tuna Foundation. Chopped apples and walnuts give nice crunch to the tuna mixture under bubbly melted cheese.
Recommended: 36 Ways to Love Toast
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 can (6-1/8 ounces) tuna, drained and flaked
- 1 cup chopped unpeeled apple
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup salad dressing or mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 slices bread, toasted
- 4 slices Monterey Jack or Muenster Cheese
- In a bowl, combine tuna, apple, onion, walnuts, salad dressing, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Spread on bread; top with a cheese slice. Broil 4 in. from the heat for 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Open-Faced Tuna Sandwiches in Taste of Home June/July 1994, p17