- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2/3 cup shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- 2/3 pound ground beef
- 2 slices frozen garlic Texas toast
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon A.1. steak sauce
- In a large bowl, combine the onion, garlic, thyme and 1/2 cup cheese. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into two oval patties.
- In a large skillet, cook burgers over medium heat for 5-6 minutes on each side or until meat is no longer pink. Meanwhile, prepare Texas toast according to package directions.
- Drain burgers; set aside and keep warm. Add the tomato sauce, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce and steak sauce to the skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Return burgers to skillet; turn to coat. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Serve burgers on toast. Yield: 2 servings.
Reviews forOpen-Faced Texas Burgers
"This was a big hit with the family and I'll definitely be making this again!"
"Delicious Recipe! We make this in our house at least once a month. The corn side dish and redskinned mashed garlic potatos are excellent with this. I usually double the amount of sauce made at end of recipe to drizzle over potatos... Mmm."
"was a hit at my house. easy to make flavorful and most of the ingredients are pantry staples at my house. can't wait to make this one again!!"
"I don't know what I did wrong - I reviewed the recipe again and I followed it exactly. The burger needed seasoning badly. I don't know if it's because I used extra lean ground beef, or what?! None of my family liked it very well, but they all liked the sauce. I think I'll do this sauce with my chipotle burgers next time. The garlic toast is a good idea, I like that, though."
"Great recipe. I doubled it and even my son, who doesn't normally like hamburger, at his and wanted more. No leftovers with this one!"
"There are thousands of burger recipes out there but I would put this in the top five. I would give it six stars if there was a sixth one. Corn receipe was a great side dish."
"Just made this tonight and OMG it was one of the best things I have ever made! So flavorful, so easy, inexpensive, so quick! I added a little more cheese, used a whole pound of hamburg, and made 4 burgers that were a little easier to eat in one sitting. Also made my own garlic toast, but that was just for convenience's sake. Thanks for the awesome recipe!"