Open-Faced Portobello Sandwiches
"This is a great meatless meal that doesn't leave you feeling deprived," writes R.O. Smith from Bountiful, Utah. This warm, chewy sandwich boasts a meaty, earthy flavor.
Total TimePrep/Total time: 15 min.
- 4 teaspoons prepared pesto
- 2 slices Italian bread (3/4 inch thick), toasted
- 3 oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, cut into strips
- 2 slices part-skim mozzarella cheese (3/4 ounce each)
- 2 large portobello mushrooms, stems removed
- Spread pesto on toast; top with tomatoes and cheese. Place mushrooms on a microwave-safe plate; cover with a paper towel. Microwave on high for 1 minute or until tender.
- Cut mushrooms into 1/2-in. slices; place on cheese. Cook sandwiches on high for 15-20 seconds or until cheese is melted.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 236 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 382mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 3g fiber), 12g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 medium-fat meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Originally published as Portobello Mushroom Sandwiches in Cooking for 2 Summer 2008
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.