Open-Faced Mozzarella Sandwiches
These zesty sandwiches are a family favorite at our house. They have a distinctly Italian flavor, plus a fresh-from-the-garden taste that can't be beat.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + chilling Broil: 5 min.
- 1 cup seeded chopped plum tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon thinly sliced green onion
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh basil or 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 4 slices Italian bread (3/4 inch thick)
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- In a small bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Drain 2 teaspoons liquid from the tomato mixture; brush onto one side of each slice of bread.
- Broil 5 in. from the heat until crisp, about 1-2 minutes. Spoon 1/4 cup tomato mixture on each pieces of bread; sprinkle with cheese. Broil 1-2 minutes longer or until bubbly.
Originally published as Open-Faced Mozzarella Sandwiches in Home-Style Soups, Salad and Sandwiches Cookbook