Open-Faced Meatball Subs
My husband and I love classic meatball subs, but I wanted to create a version that's fast to fix after a long day. This recipe comes together in a snap, and the meatballs are freezer-friendly as well.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Dash salt
- 1-1/4 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2 cups garden-style pasta sauce
- 4 hoagie buns, split
- 2 tablespoons shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Shredded Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the first nine ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 40 meatballs. In a large skillet coated with cooking spray, brown meatballs in batches; drain.
- Place meatballs in a large saucepan. Add pasta sauce; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until meat is no longer pink. Spoon meatballs and sauce onto bun halves; sprinkle with mozzarella and Parmesan cheese if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 277 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 47mg cholesterol, 506mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 3g fiber), 20g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable.
Sep 10, 2017
Aug 29, 2011
Yummy! My first stab at a meatball sub - turned out great, recipe was easy, and my husband surely loved it!
Feb 28, 2011
this isour favourite recipe from the comfort food diet book,very easy to make,tastes great.