Open-Faced Meatball Subs
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Dash salt
- 1-1/4 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2 cups garden-style pasta sauce
- 4 hoagie buns, split
- 2 tablespoons shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Shredded Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the first nine ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 40 meatballs. In a large skillet coated with cooking spray, brown meatballs in batches; drain.
- Place meatballs in a large saucepan. Add pasta sauce; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until meat is no longer pink. Spoon meatballs and sauce onto bun halves; sprinkle with mozzarella and Parmesan cheese if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 277 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 47mg cholesterol, 506mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 3g fiber), 20g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable.
Sep 10, 2017
Aug 29, 2011
Yummy! My first stab at a meatball sub - turned out great, recipe was easy, and my husband surely loved it!
Feb 28, 2011
this isour favourite recipe from the comfort food diet book,very easy to make,tastes great.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.