Open-Faced Fennel Turkey Burgers
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Cook: 15 min.
- 1/2 cup chopped fennel bulb
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (20 ounces) lean ground turkey
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 5 slices Italian bread (3/4 inch thick), toasted
- Chopped fennel fronds, optional
- In a large nonstick skillet, saute fennel, onion and green pepper in butter until crisp-tender. Transfer to a large bowl; cool slightly. Add the bread crumbs, 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Crumble turkey over mixture and mix well. Shape into five patties. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- In a small bowl, combine the tomato, parsley, oil and remaining salt; set aside.
- Using long handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack. Grill burgers, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 6-8 minutes or until a thermometer reads 165° and juices run clear. Serve on toast with tomato mixture. Sprinkle with fennel fronds if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 321 calories, 14g fat (4g saturated fat), 94mg cholesterol, 571mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 24g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jun 1, 2011
"Healthy, flavorful - save this recipe so you can make it again, an elegant way to serve a burger for a dinner party" (comment from my husband). I have never used a fennel bulb - wikipedia describes how.