Open-Faced Chicken Avocado Burgers for Two
“A creamy avocado spread and thick slices of fresh mozzarella and tomato dress up these chicken patties. They’re wonderful with buttered boiled potatoes or a salad.” —Lisa Hundley, Aberdeen, North Carolina
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 15 min.
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 medium ripe avocado, peeled
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 green onions, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon prepared pesto
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces ground chicken
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/4 pound fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into 2 slices
- 2 slices Italian bread (3/4 inch thick)
- 1 cup fresh arugula or baby spinach
- 4 slices tomato
- 1/8 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a blender, combine the first eight ingredients; cover and process until smooth. Chill until serving. For burgers, in a small bowl, combine the Parmesan cheese, pesto, garlic and salt. Crumble chicken over mixture and mix well. Shape into two patties.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook burgers in 1 tablespoon oil for 5-7 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 165° and juices run clear. Top with cheese; cover and cook 1 minute longer.
- Meanwhile, brush bread with remaining oil; place on a baking sheet. Broil 3-4 in. from the heat for 1-2 minutes on each side or until toasted.
- Spread each slice of toast with 2 tablespoons avocado spread (refrigerate remaining spread for another use). Top with arugula, a burger and sliced tomato. Sprinkle with basil and pepper.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 724 calories, 55g fat (17g saturated fat), 136mg cholesterol, 849mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 35g protein.
Originally published as Open-Faced Pesto-Chicken Burgers with Creamy Avocado Spread in Taste of Home June/July 2010
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.