VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 sweet onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 tablespoons cold butter
- 1 egg
- 1 cup (8 ounces) plain yogurt
- In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, melt butter. Stir in brown sugar until blended; add onion. Cook over medium heat for 15-20 minutes or until onion is golden brown, stirring frequently. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flours, brown sugar, baking powder, sage, salt and baking soda. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Combine egg and yogurt; stir into crumb mixture just until combined (dough will be sticky). Stir in a third of the onion mixture.
- Drop by 1/4 cupfuls 2 in. apart onto a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Gently press remaining onion mixture onto dough. Bake at 425° for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 10 biscuits.
Originally published as Oniony Wheat Biscuits in Light & Tasty April/May 2007, p46