Oniony Wheat Biscuits
I’ve had this recipe in my files for more than 10 years and make these sweet-savory biscuits often. They are so tasty, and they complement all kinds of meals. —Bernice Janowski, Stevens Point, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 10 min.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 sweet onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 tablespoons cold butter
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, melt butter. Stir in brown sugar until blended; add onion. Cook over medium heat for 15-20 minutes or until onion is golden brown, stirring frequently. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flours, brown sugar, baking powder, sage, salt and baking soda. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Combine egg and yogurt; stir into crumb mixture just until combined (dough will be sticky). Stir in a third of the onion mixture.
- Drop by 1/4 cupfuls 2 in. apart onto a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Gently press remaining onion mixture onto dough. Bake at 425° for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 158 calories, 6g fat (4g saturated fat), 37mg cholesterol, 287mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.