Onions and Spice, Parsley and Rice
For a succulent side dish, Marion Karlin of Waterloo, Iowa suggests her nicely herbed and spiced rice. Onions, mint, dill and lemon all accent the tender grain, while the flecks of green dress it up a bit.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1-3/4 cups thinly sliced green onion
- 1-1/2 cups coarsely chopped onion
- 2/3 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried mint
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook green onions, onions, rice and parsley in butter for about 3 minutes or until coated evenly with butter. Stir in the salt, dill, mint and pepper. Stir in the water, lemon juice and lemon peel. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 16-18 minutes or until rice is tender. Fluff with a fork.
Nutrition Facts2/3 cup: 144 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 442mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.