Onion Trio Salad
Onion lovers might have a difficult time resisting this zippy side salad from our Test Kitchen. A homemade Greek-style vinaigrette complements the fresh veggie combination.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 6 fresh pearl onions
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped cucumber
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 4 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 3 green onions, cut into 1-inch pieces
- GREEK VINAIGRETTE:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Place pearl onions in a microwave-safe bowl; add water. Cover and microwave on high for 1-2 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain and peel.
- In a serving bowl, combine the red onion, cucumber, red pepper, tomatoes, green onions and pearl onions. In a small bowl, whisk the oil, vinegar, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper. Pour over vegetables and toss to coat. Just before serving, sprinkle with feta cheese.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 150 calories, 9g fat (2g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 440mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 2 fat.
Originally published as Greek Onion Salad in Cooking for 2 Spring 2007
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.