Onion Trio Pasta
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 2 cups chopped leeks
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onions
- 1/3 cup chopped green onions
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 ounces uncooked linguine
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup dried currants
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups fresh arugula or baby spinach
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the leeks, onions and green onions in oil over medium heat for 8 minutes, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to low; cook, stirring occasionally, 5-10 minutes longer or until onions are golden brown. Meanwhile, prepare linguine according to package directions.
- Add the broth, currants and vinegar to the onion mixture; bring to a boil. Add cream and salt; cook, for 3-5 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally. Stir in the arugula, cheese and thyme. Drain linguine; toss with sauce.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 190 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 412mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Jun 23, 2012
I really disliked this recipe and I love onions. Maybe I should have used arugula instead of spinach, but I doubt that would have made a difference. The flavors simply didn't blend well for me.
Oct 22, 2009
This dish was soooooo good. The only thing i would change is leave out the cheese and currants. The cheese just clumped up and stuck to the spinach.
Oct 12, 2009
The onions really make this a flavorful dish, and I used whole wheat linguine, so it was very healthy also.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.