Onion-Topped Herbed Pork Roast
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 8 hours + standing
- 1 boneless pork loin roast (4 pounds)
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons rubbed sage
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon browning sauce, optional
- Cut roast in half. Place pork and water in a 4-qt. slow cooker. Spread butter over meat. Combine the sage, parsley, pepper, garlic, oregano and salt; sprinkle over meat. Top with onion. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat is tender. If desired, thicken cooking juices. Stir in browning sauce if desired. Let meat stand 10 minutes before slicing.
Nutrition Facts4 ounce-weight: 227 calories, 11g fat (5g saturated fat), 85mg cholesterol, 171mg sodium, 1g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 29g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1 fat.
May 15, 2018
Made this for supper tonight and it was delicious! Pork was very tender and flavorful. It was kind of spicy which I liked but you could cut the spices in half if you wanted it milder. I made gravy from the drippings to go over the meat and mashed potatoes and it was very tasty as well.
Jun 29, 2017
Tender, flavorful, and delicious. Bonus: easy and house smelled great all day! The only change I made was using stock instead of water, which I always do.
Jun 8, 2017
I've got a question: The very first instruction you give is to "Cut roast in half" - is that vertically or horizontally? Perhaps if I knew why, I'd understand it. Please explain. My bet is that most people just ignored it.
Aug 27, 2015
This was okay, but nothing special to anyone in my family.
Mar 28, 2014
This was really moist and we really liked it. I would not put as much spices on the top though, it seemed too much and too strong.
Jan 22, 2014
Wonderful flavor and so tender!
Jan 7, 2014
The meat was extremely tender and moist however my husband said I need to cut the sage in half next time.
Jan 3, 2014
Enjoy slow cooker recipes like this one, makes my day easier, very tasty.
Jan 3, 2014
I use bone-in for better flavor. This is very rich-yum !
Mar 28, 2013
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.