Onion-Topped Chicken with Berry Sauce
I created this recipe by mistake...but now it's part of my regular dinner menus. A strawberry and spinach salad would be a tasty accompaniment.—Katie Sloan, Charlotte, North Carolina
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 4 bone-in chicken breast halves (8 ounces each)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 celery rib, thinly sliced
- 1/2 small green pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup seedless strawberry jam
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Sprinkle chicken with salt. In a large skillet, brown chicken in butter on all sides. Remove and keep warm.
- In the same pan, saute the onion, celery and green pepper in drippings until tender. Add the broth, jam, orange juice, vinegar, parsley, and thyme. Cook and stir until jam is melted.
- Return chicken to the pan. Cover and cook for 30-35 minutes or until chicken juices run clear. Serve chicken with sauce.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 547 calories, 16g fat (6g saturated fat), 127mg cholesterol, 686mg sodium, 60g carbohydrate (54g sugars, 1g fiber), 40g protein.
Originally published as Tangy Berry Glazed Chicken in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2009
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.