I love to cook all kinds of dishes, but I'm known for my appetizers. In this robust spread, a creamy base is topped with caramelized onions.—Carole Bess White, Portland, Oregon
Recommended: 25 Christmas Potluck Appetizers for 12 or More
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2-1/2 pounds large sweet onions, coarsely chopped
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons white wine or chicken broth
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- Assorted crackers
- In a large skillet, cook the onions, sugar, salt and bay leaves in oil and butter over medium heat for 45-50 minutes or until onions are golden brown, stirring frequently.
- Add wine, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Cook until wine is reduced by half. Remove and discard bay leaves. Cool slightly. Pour over cream cheese. Serve with crackers. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Onion-Topped Cheese Spread in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2009, p14