Onion-Topped Cheese Spread
I love to cook all kinds of dishes, but I'm known for my appetizers. In this robust spread, a creamy base is topped with caramelized onions.—Carole Bess White, Portland, Oregon
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 50 min.
- 2-1/2 pounds large sweet onions, coarsely chopped
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons white wine or chicken broth
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- Assorted crackers
- In a large skillet, cook the onions, sugar, salt and bay leaves in oil and butter over medium heat for 45-50 minutes or until onions are golden brown, stirring frequently.
- Add wine, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Cook until wine is reduced by half. Remove and discard bay leaves. Cool slightly. Pour over cream cheese. Serve with crackers.
Nutrition Facts1/4 cup cream cheese with 3 tablespoons onion topping (calculated without crackers): 316 calories, 26g fat (15g saturated fat), 70mg cholesterol, 341mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Onion Confit in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2009
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.