Onion-Topped Cheese Spread
I love to cook all kinds of dishes, but I'm known for my appetizers. In this robust spread, a creamy base is topped with caramelized onions.—Carole Bess White, Portland, Oregon
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 50 min.
- 2-1/2 pounds large sweet onions, coarsely chopped
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons white wine or chicken broth
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- Assorted crackers
- In a large skillet, cook the onions, sugar, salt and bay leaves in oil and butter over medium heat for 45-50 minutes or until onions are golden brown, stirring frequently.
- Add wine, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Cook until wine is reduced by half. Remove and discard bay leaves. Cool slightly. Pour over cream cheese. Serve with crackers.