Onion Swiss Loaf
This is one of our favorite bread recipes. I hope you enjoy it just as much as our family and friends do.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 large sweet or yellow onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 loaf (1 pound) French bread, halved lengthwise
- 12 slices Swiss cheese
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, mustard and lemon juice; cook and stir for 10-12 minutes or until tender. Remove from the heat.
- Brush cut sides of bread with some of the butter from the pan. Spoon onion mixture onto bread bottom; top with cheese. Replace bread top.
- Wrap loaf in foil; place on a baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until cheese is melted. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 413 calories, 23g fat (15g saturated fat), 68mg cholesterol, 516mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 16g protein.
Originally published as Onion Bread in Country Extra January 2008
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.