These stuffed mushrooms make a pretty visual with burgundy-colored onions and deep green spinach. To serve as appetizers, use small baby Portobello mushrooms and serve over shredded lettuce.—Marie Rizzio, Interlochen, Michigan
Recommended: 45 Recipes for Mushroom Lovers
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 1 cup port wine
- 2-1/2 cups coarsely chopped fresh spinach
- 4 medium portobello mushrooms
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- In a large skillet, cook the onion, garlic, thyme and 1/8 teaspoon salt and pepper in 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat for 15-20 minutes or until onion is golden brown, stirring occasionally. Stir in wine. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced by two-thirds, about 8-10 minutes. Add spinach; cook until wilted.
- Remove and discard stems and gills from mushrooms. In a large skillet, cook mushrooms in remaining oil over medium heat for 2 minutes on each side. Sprinkle with remaining salt and pepper.
- Fill mushrooms with onion mixture; cover and cook for 5-7 minutes or just until mushrooms are tender. Sprinkle with cheese; cover and cook 2 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Onion-Stuffed Portobellos in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2010, p95