Total TimePrep: 10 min. Grill: 45 min.
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 boneless beef sirloin steaks (about 8 ounces each and 1 inch thick)
- 2 large sweet onions, cut into 1/2-inch slices and separated into rings
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium lime, cut into quarters
- In a bowl, combine the garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, cumin, oregano and pepper flakes. Rub over the steaks; set aside.
- Place onions in a disposable foil pan; add oil and toss to coat. Grill, covered, over medium heat for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown, stirring occasionally. Season onions with pepper, remaining salt and a squeeze of lime.
- Grill steaks, uncovered, over medium heat for 7-10 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). Squeeze remaining lime over the steaks; top with onions.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 227 calories, 16g fat (3g saturated fat), 32mg cholesterol, 469mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 12g protein.
Feb 14, 2016
I made this on the stove. I cut my steaks into strips and cooked for two hours. I followed the rest of the recipe as written. We enjoyed this and it was really tender.
Feb 2, 2012
I've made this numerous times & enjoy it every time. Delicious! Use leftovers (if there are any) in tacos.
Mar 11, 2010
Very tasty and will definitely make again.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.