- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) corn bread/muffin mix
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 can (8-1/2 ounces) cream-style corn
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise*
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 drops hot pepper sauce
- In a bowl, combine the corn bread mix, milk, oil and egg. Spread in a greased 9-in. square baking pan. In another bowl, combine the onion, corn, 1 cup cheddar cheese, sour cream, mayonnaise, salt and hot pepper sauce; mix well. Spoon over batter. Top with remaining cheese. Bake at 425° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 15 minutes before cutting. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews forOnion Shortcake
"This dish is fantastic! My kids, who don't care for onions, love it! It is a crowd pleaser everytime I serve it. One piece of advice: You don't have to use creamed corn, use regular canned corn otherwise it turns out too soft in the center... try this recipe soon!"