My husband and I created this recipe after we realized you could add anything to caramelized onions and it would taste great. These are easy to whip up, and the filling can be made ahead of time.—Lisa Harrington, Halifax, Nova Scotia
Recommended: 24 Ways to Make Dinner Faster
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3 medium sweet onions, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 to 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3/4 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese, divided
- 8 flour tortillas (8 inches)
- In a large skillet, cook onions and garlic in butter over medium heat until tender. Stir in brown sugar. Cook for 15-20 minutes or until onions are golden brown, stirring frequently; remove and keep warm.
- In the same skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain.
- In a bowl, combine the sausage, 1 cup Swiss cheese and onion mixture. Place four tortillas on two greased baking sheets; sprinkle each with 1 tablespoon Swiss cheese. Top with sausage mixture, and remaining cheese and tortillas.
- Bake at 425° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Cut each quesadilla into six wedges. Serve immediately. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Onion Sausage Quesadillas in Taste of Home April/May 2008, p15