Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2 large sweet onions
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- Additional oil for frying
- Cut onions into 1/4-in. slices and separate into rings. In a shallow bowl, combine the flour, salt, baking powder and pepper. In a small bowl, combine the egg, apple juice and oil; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat 1 in. of oil to 375°. Dip onion rings into batter. Fry, a few at a time, for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jun 16, 2012
I thought these were really good. My husband said they were okay. I used seasoned salt instead of the salt and pepper. Other than that I basically followed the recipe. I will probably make these again.
Dec 31, 2009
Great taste! We pressed apple juice this year so I used that! It gave it a sweet flavor!Had my husband taste the onion rings. His comment was, "Woh! These are good"!I also fried them in coconut oil!So far these are very tasteful!!!