Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2 large sweet onions
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- Additional oil for frying
- Cut onions into 1/4-in. slices and separate into rings. In a shallow bowl, combine the flour, salt, baking powder and pepper. In a small bowl, combine the egg, apple juice and oil; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat 1 in. of oil to 375°. Dip onion rings into batter. Fry, a few at a time, for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
Jun 16, 2012
I thought these were really good. My husband said they were okay. I used seasoned salt instead of the salt and pepper. Other than that I basically followed the recipe. I will probably make these again.
Dec 31, 2009
Great taste! We pressed apple juice this year so I used that! It gave it a sweet flavor!Had my husband taste the onion rings. His comment was, "Woh! These are good"!I also fried them in coconut oil!So far these are very tasteful!!!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.