Onion Potato Rolls
As a 4-H judge, I sampled a variation of these light, golden rolls at our county fair. With a touch of onion, it's a real blue-ribbon recipe that wins raves whenever I serve it.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup mashed potato flakes
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2-1/2 to 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup dried minced onion
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Beat in the next eight ingredients. Stir in enough all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch the dough down; divide into 18 pieces. Shape each into a ball. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Brush egg over rolls. Sprinkle with dried onion. Bake at 350° for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 218 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 51mg cholesterol, 348mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 3g fiber), 6g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.