Onion Poppy Seed Biscuits
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 cup buttermilk
- In a small nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, saute the onion until tender; set aside. In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, brown sugar, poppy seeds, salt and baking soda. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in onions. Stir in buttermilk just until moistened.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface; knead 6-8 times. Pat to 1/2-in. thickness; cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter. Place 2 in. apart on baking sheets coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 450° for 9-12 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 125 calories, 4g fat (3g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 245mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.
Feb 27, 2013
These are delicious. My husband dislikes biscuits, but he enjoys these because the sauteed onion gives them a wonderful flavour. Sometimes I add herbs and/or 1/4 cup grated parmesan to the dry ingredients for a different flavour combination.