Onion Pita Pizza
For a different appetizer or snack, try these appealing "pizzas" from Mary Lou Wayman of Salt Lake City, Utah. With their mild blue cheese and onion flavor and crispy pita crust, they're sure to hit the spot with your favorite summer beverage.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 pita bread (6 inches)
- 2/3 cup 1% cottage cheese
- 2 tablespoons crumbled blue cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts, toasted
- In a small skillet, cook onion in butter over low heat for 20-25 minutes or until golden, stirring occasionally. Meanwhile, place pita bread on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned.
- In a food processor, combine cottage cheese and blue cheese; cover and process until blended. Spread over pita bread; top with onion. Sprinkle with walnuts. Bake 3-5 minutes longer or until heated through. Cut into wedges.
Nutrition Facts1/2 each: 293 calories, 14g fat (6g saturated fat), 25mg cholesterol, 645mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 2g fiber), 17g protein.
Originally published as Onion and Blue Cheese Pizza in Cooking for 2 Summer 2007
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.