Onion Meatball Stew
When fall comes calling, it's time to cook up comforting fare like this stew from Valerie Warner of North Manchester, Indiana. Replete with meatballs and veggies, the old-fashioned dish will satisfy even the heartiest appetite.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried savory
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed French onion soup, undiluted
- 2/3 cup water
- 3 medium carrots, cut into 3/4-inch chunks
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 medium onion, cut into thin wedges
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- In a large bowl, combine the egg, bread crumbs, garlic, salt and savory. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-1/4-in. balls.
- In a large skillet, brown meatballs in oil over medium heat; drain. Stir in the soup, water, carrots, potatoes and onion. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Sprinkle with parsley.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 381 calories, 17g fat (5g saturated fat), 112mg cholesterol, 1015mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 4g fiber), 26g protein.
Originally published as Onion Meatball Stew in Country Woman September/October 2002
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.