When my five children were still all at home, this was one of their most-requested meals. I've long had this recipe among my standbys, and, like all cooks who improvise and experiment, I've changed it as our tastes have changed. Having my recipe judged "grand prize winner" is exciting...and I sure have to smile when I think what my children will say to me. More than once they've pointed out featured recipes in other magazines. "But, Mom," they tell me, "you've been making this for years!"
Recommended: Speedy Skillet Dinners
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 6 medium onions, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 6 Johnsonville® Mild Italian Sausage Links
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1-1/2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- Dash reduced-sodium soy sauce
- In a large skillet, saute onions in butter until lightly browned. Remove from pan; set aside. In the same skillet, lightly brown sausage, turning frequently. Remove; set aside with onions.
- Add more butter to skillet if necessary; saute pepper until crisp-tender. Add the onions, sausages, Italian seasonings and soy sauce. Add water to 1-in. depth and simmer until a thermometer inserted in the sausages reads 140° and water is cooked away. Serve on buns. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Onion Italian Sausage in Country Woman September/October 1987, p29