When my five children were still all at home, this was one of their most-requested meals. I've long had this recipe among my standbys, and, like all cooks who improvise and experiment, I've changed it as our tastes have changed. Having my recipe judged "grand prize winner" is exciting...and I sure have to smile when I think what my children will say to me. More than once they've pointed out featured recipes in other magazines. "But, Mom," they tell me, "you've been making this for years!"
Recommended: Speedy Skillet Dinners
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 6 medium onions, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 6 sweet Johnsonville® Mild Italian Sausage Links
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1-1/2 tablespoons salt-free Italian seasonings
- Dash Lite soy sauce
- Melt butter in large skillet; add onions and cook until lightly browned. Remove; set aside. Brown sausages lightly in skillet, turning frequently. remove; set aside with onions. Add more butter to skillet if necessary and lightly brown pepper. Add onions, sausages, Italian seasonings and soy sauce to skillet. Add water to 1-in. depth and simmer until sausages are done and water is cooked away. Serve with buns. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Onion Italian Sausage in Country Woman September/October 1987, p29