Onion & Garlic Soda Bread
This is one of my favorite recipes for soda bread. It's versatile, as you can do endless sweet or savory variations. I serve it sliced alongside ssorted spreads and cheeses. —Theresa Vujosevic, Hamburg, New Jersey For a savory Irish bread: Omit Sugar and Raisin and replace with 1 medium onion, 5 gloves of garlic (chopped and sauteed until translucent). Let mixture cool and add into dough mixture prior to adding wet ingredients. Another Savory Choice: Again omit sugar and raisins and replace with 1 cup cooked spicy sausage. Cheesy Bread: Omit 1/4 cup buttermilk, raisins and sugar and add in 1-1/2 cups shredded cheese. Another Sweet Choice: Omit 1/4 cup buttermilk and stir in 1-1/2 cups chopped apples, 1/2 cup chopped walnuts and 1 tsp. cinnamon. Another Sweet Choice: Omit 1/4 cup buttermilk and replace with 1/4 cup of quality maple syrup and add'l nuts of choice.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
Makes1 loaf (12 wedges)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 large egg
- 1-1/2 cups buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 425°. In a small skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir until light golden brown, 3-5 minutes. Add garlic; cook and stir 30 seconds longer. Cool.
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, salt and baking soda. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in cooled onion mixture; make a well in center. In a small bowl, whisk egg and buttermilk; pour into well. Using a wooden spoon, mix dough until too stiff to stir. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead gently 10 times. Shape into a round loaf.
- Transfer to a large greased cast-iron skillet or baking sheet. Using a sharp knife, cut a shallow "X" on the top of loaf. Bake until golden brown, 35-40 minutes.
- Remove from pan to a wire rack; serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 wedge: 219 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 398mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.