Onion & Garlic Rolls
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + rising Bake: 20 min.
- 1/3 cup dried minced onion
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 to 3-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Minced fresh parsley, optional
- In a small bowl, mix onion and water. Let stand 10 minutes or until onion is softened. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water.
- In a large bowl, combine milk, wheat germ, oil, honey, garlic powder, salt, onion mixture, yeast mixture and 1-1/2 cups flour; beat on medium speed until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a stiff dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch down dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide and shape into 20 balls. Place in a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Cover with a kitchen towel; let rise in a warm place until almost doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Bake 15-18 minutes or until lightly browned. Brush rolls with butter; sprinkle with cheese. Bake 5-7 minutes longer or until cheese is melted and rolls are golden brown. If desired, sprinkle with parsley. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 roll: 123 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 7mg cholesterol, 141mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Apr 26, 2018
I can't believe I'm the first to rate these rolls! They were DELICIOUS! The flavor is perfect and they stayed very soft and fresh even the day after when we had the leftovers with a bowl of soup. These are a perfect change of pace from plain dinner rolls or garlic toast.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.