- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pepper to taste
- 4 cups whole milk
- 2 cups shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese
- Seasoned salad croutons
- Grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a large saucepan, saute the onion in butter. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until blended. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in cheese until melted. Serve with croutons and, if desired, Parmesan cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forOnion Cheese Soup
"This is a basis for a good soup. As written, it isn't. If you caramelize the onions, then add sliced mushrooms before continuing with the directions, it will up the flavor a lot. To make it even creamier (and if you aren't on a diet) use half milk and part 1/2 & 1/2. Also does need salt."
"this was very warming and good. we liked it and there was none letover. it was a good change from the regular french onion soup"
"Very good. easy to make, and you will always have the ingredients in hand!"
"Made this soup this week. It came together quickly and was very tasty. Made as per recipe. No changes. Will make again."
"REALLY good. REALLY easy. And tastes even better after I froze the leftovers for a few weeks. This is really really good!"
"I made this for lunch the other day and although it had a good flavor, my cheese curdled as soon as I put it in. I ended up throwing most of it out. Maybe using velvetta would make a difference. I didn't boil the milk but it was very hot. I did read a recent review where someone said you should grate your own cheese instead of buying shredded cheese because there is something in the pre-shredded that makes it curdle. Don't know if that is true but it might be worth trying."
"I used 3 cups of milk and 1 cup of beer. Worked well"