Onion Cheese Custard Bread
THIS BREAD is wonderful for a brunch or luncheon menu. My family and friends loved it and just had to have the recipe. The custard texture makes it very different. Served with a tossed salad and dessert, it could even make a light meal. -Joan Kinsinger, Utica, New York
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1-1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 cups biscuit/baking mix
- 1 cup Kerrygold shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- In a small skillet, saute onion in oil until golden brown, about 7 minutes. Set aside to cool. In a large bowl, combine buttermilk and egg. Stir in the biscuit mix, onion and 1/2 cup cheese.
- Pour into a greased 9-in. round baking pan. Sprinkle with poppy seeds and remaining cheese. Drizzle with butter.
- Bake at 400° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Cool slightly. Cut into wedges.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 219 calories, 13g fat (6g saturated fat), 51mg cholesterol, 454mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 7g protein.
May 3, 2019
Love this recipe , it taste delious!
May 16, 2016
I added a pack of onion soup mix to the batter- oh so good! I used reduced calorie Bisquick and reduced fat cheese. Came out awesonme!!!!