Onion Bulgur Salad
"I use homegrown ingredients from our garden to put together this refreshing salad," writes Evelyn Lewis of Independence, Missouri. Onion, tomato and cucumber blend beautifully with the chewy texture of bulgur. Evelyn perks up the wholesome toss with lemon juice and herbs.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + standing
- 3/4 cup bulgur
- 2 cups boiling water
- 3/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 cup diced seeded cucumber
- 1 cup diced seeded tomato
- 1/2 cup minced fresh basil
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup minced fresh mint
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- Place bulgur in a bowl; stir in the boiling water. Stir in the boiling water. Cover and let stand for 1 hour or until liquid is absorbed. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the onion, salt and allspice; let stand for 30 minutes.
- Drain bulgur and squeeze dry; add bulgur and remaining ingredients to onion mixture. Toss gently to combine. Serve or refrigerate.
Editor's NoteLook for quinoa in the cereal, rice or organic food aisle.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 64 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 302mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 4g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch.
Originally published as Onion Bulgur Salad in Light & Tasty August/September 2003
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.