Onion Brunch Squares
I found this recipe years ago but have modified it to my family's liking. I make it with ham instead of bacon or without meat and have added various veggies to keep everyone happy. I serve these squares for brunch and also as a warm appetizer. The recipe never fails and can be prepared ahead of time, so it's ideal for company. -Danna Givot, San Diego, California
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds, optional
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1 tube (8 ounces) refrigerated crescent rolls
- In a small skillet saute onions in butter until tender; cool. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the flour, sour cream, salt and caraway seeds if desired until blended. Add eggs and mix well. Stir in bacon and reserved onions.
- Unroll crescent roll dough into an ungreased 9-in. square baking pan. Press seams together to seal; press dough 1 in. up the sides of pan. Pour onion mixture into crust.
- Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 201 calories, 13g fat (5g saturated fat), 88mg cholesterol, 417mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Onion Brunch Squares in Reminisce January/February 2001