I found this recipe in a cookbook in a chapter called, “Recipes for Busy Days”. I love quiche but hate the hassle in making a crust. This recipe solves that problem for me. I continue to make this dish for brunches and it’s a favorite for our family Christmas breakfast.
Recommended: 50 Secret Recipes for Classic Diner Foods
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1-1/2 cups thinly sliced onions
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup crushed saltines (about 15 crackers)
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook onions in 1 tablespoon butter for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown, stirring frequently. Remove from the heat.
- In a small bowl, beat the eggs, milk, salt and pepper. Stir in onions. Pour into a greased 7-in. pie plate. Sprinkle with cheese. Melt remaining butter; toss with cracker crumbs. Sprinkle over cheese.
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Onion Brunch Pie in Reminisce February/March 2009, p 51