Onion Brie Bowl
Golden caramelized onions are paired with buttery, silky brie in this warm spread. Make sure to have enough bread cubes or crackers to use up every gooey bit. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 25 min. + standing
- 3 cups sliced onions
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 round loaf sourdough bread (1 pound)
- 1 round (8 ounces) Brie cheese
- In a large skillet, saute onions in oil until softened. Reduce heat to medium-low; add the brown sugar, vinegar and salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 30-35 minutes or until onions are deep golden brown.
- Cut top third off loaf of bread; hollow out enough bread from the bottom to make room for cheese. Cube removed bread; set aside. Using a knife, make 2-in. cuts into loaf around edge of bread at 1-in. intervals. Remove rind from cheese; cut cheese in half horizontally. Layer half of the cheese and onions in bread. Repeat layers.
- Transfer to an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until cheese is melted. Let stand for 10 minutes. Serve with bread cubes.
Freeze option: Cool onion mixture. Assemble bread, cheese and onion mixture as directed, wrap and freeze. Freeze bread cubes in a separate freezer container. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake bread bowl as directed, increasing time as necessary until heated through. Serve with bread cubes.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 140 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 310mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.