Onion Beet Salad
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 1 hour + chilling
- 12 whole fresh beets (about 2-1/2 pounds), peeled and halved
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Place beets in a large resealable plastic bag; add 2 tablespoons oil. Seal bag and shake to coat. Place an 18x12-in. piece of heavy-duty foil in a 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Arrange beets on foil; fold foil over beets and seal tightly. Bake at 400° for 1 to 1-1/4 hours or until tender.
- Cool to room temperature. Cut beets into cubes; place in a large bowl. Add onion. In a small bowl, whisk the vinegars, sugar, salt, basil, pepper and remaining oil.
- Pour over beet mixture; gently toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, stirring several times. Serve with a slotted spoon.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 135 calories, 8g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 318mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 2g fiber), 1g protein.
Feb 3, 2017
Used this recipe along with the Roasted Beet Wedges recipe using the fresh rosemary instead of basil. Yum! I sliced them instead of cubing them and used apple cider vinegar.
Aug 28, 2012
Absolutely awesome!I changed it a bit, as I used already cooked beets. Nice to find such a yummy salad for beets
Apr 17, 2012
Aug 17, 2011
very fresh and zingy, very tasty
Sep 5, 2010
This was amazing, and impressed a very finicky family.
Dec 29, 2009
very, very good and festive.