Onion-Beef Muffin Cups
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 3 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 beef top sirloin steak (1 inch thick and 6 ounces), cut into 1/8-inch slices
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1 tube (16.3 ounces) large refrigerated flaky biscuits
- 3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- In a large skillet, cook onions in butter over medium heat for 10-12 minutes or until very tender. Remove and keep warm. In the same skillet, cook steak for 2-3 minutes or until no longer pink.
- Return onions to pan. Stir in the flour, brown sugar and salt until blended; gradually add broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 4-6 minutes or until thickened.
- Separate biscuits; split each horizontally into three portions. Press onto the bottom and up the sides of eight ungreased muffin cups, overlapping the sides and tops. Fill each with about 2 tablespoons beef mixture.
- Combine mozzarella cheese and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese; sprinkle over filling. Fold dough over completely to enclose filling. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 375° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand for 2 minutes before removing from pan. Serve warm.
Sep 9, 2016
I substitute left over roast beef and homemade biscuits in this recipe. We think the carmalized onion flavor, enhanced by the touch f brown sugar, is what makes it special, so be sure to get the onions to that point.
Aug 2, 2014
I only used one onion, because it's all I had. We thought this was very good, but I don't know that i would add 2 more whole onions! (And I LOVE onions.)
Sep 20, 2013
I really loved these which surprised me because I wasn't expecting much. I marinated my steak the night before and that added a lot of flavor I think. I tried to work really quickly when putting the filling in to the biscuits because I was afraid if they got too warm they wouldn't be fluffy and flakey but they baked up great despite the hot filling. I had leftover filling that I just served alongside as a bonus and everything was delicious. I will definitely make these again.
Jan 21, 2012
I've made this recipe many times. My whole family LOVES it. The kids even ask to have it for dinner. I dice the onions a little smaller, but other than that I follow the recipe exactly.
Mar 7, 2011
Oct 22, 2010
These are great for field meals during harvest!
Nov 8, 2009
Can't get enough of 'em.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.