Onion Barley Casserole
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 1 can (4 ounces) whole button mushrooms, drained
- In an ovenproof skillet, saute barley in oil until golden brown. Stir in water, bouillon and salt; bring to boil. Remove from the heat; add onions and mushrooms.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 40-50 minutes or until barley is tender.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 131 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 453mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 5g fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 14, 2013
My husband liked this a lot. It was pretty good to me. Nice change from potatoes and rice as a side dish.
Mar 30, 2010
I used a can of sliced mushrooms and 1 Tbs of dried, minced onion as that was what I had on hand. This has a great texture and a good flavor. Even my picky kids loved it and asked if we can keep this recipe with our favorite recipes. Thanks for sharing!