Onion-Bacon Baby Carrots
- 2 large sweet onions, sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 pounds fresh baby carrots, halved lengthwise
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup french-fried onions
- 8 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1. In a large skillet, cook onions in oil over medium heat for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown, stirring frequently.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the onions, carrots, salt and pepper; toss to combine. Transfer to a greased shallow 3-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 400° for 40-45 minutes or until tender.
- 3. Stir in syrup and butter. Sprinkle with french-fried onions and bacon. Bake, uncovered, 5 minutes longer or until fried onions are browned. Sprinkle with green onions. Serve with a slotted spoon.
3/4 cup: 180 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 546mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 3g fiber), 3g protein.
Mar 23, 2019This has to be the best carrot dish I have made. My family love it. Great taste. You can prepare it before hand and bake it afterwards. This will be served at my thanksgiving dinner this year.
Dec 31, 1969
Made this last night. It tasted ok, and I would eat it again, but certainly not something I would go out of my way to make, again. The maple syrup flavor was very mild, and the bacon and the green onions and French fried onions did not really contribute to the flavor at all. For the amount of time invested, I was not impressed with the overall result.
Dec 31, 1969
Love Love Love this and so does everyone I have ever made it for, HUGE hit! Making it for Thanksgiving as I do every year :-)
Jan 5, 2013
My husband loved this. I think next time I will add a little more maple syrup, didn't really get any maple flavor.
May 3, 2011
This is absolutely delicious! I get asked for this recipe all the time, and my niece always asks me to bring it to family dinners.
Oct 15, 2009
very good and different.