- 2 large sweet onions, sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 pounds fresh baby carrots, halved lengthwise
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup french-fried onions
- 8 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- In a large skillet, cook onions in oil over medium heat for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown, stirring frequently.
- In a large bowl, combine the onions, carrots, salt and pepper; toss to combine. Transfer to a greased shallow 3-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 400° for 40-45 minutes or until tender.
- Stir in the syrup and butter. Sprinkle with french-fried onions and bacon. Bake, uncovered, 5 minutes longer or until fried onions are browned. Sprinkle with green onions. Serve with a slotted spoon. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forOnion-Bacon Baby Carrots
"Made this last night. It tasted ok, and I would eat it again, but certainly not something I would go out of my way to make, again. The maple syrup flavor was very mild, and the bacon and the green onions and French fried onions did not really contribute to the flavor at all. For the amount of time invested, I was not impressed with the overall result."
"Love Love Love this and so does everyone I have ever made it for, HUGE hit! Making it for Thanksgiving as I do every year :-)"
"My husband loved this. I think next time I will add a little more maple syrup, didn't really get any maple flavor."
"This is absolutely delicious! I get asked for this recipe all the time, and my niece always asks me to bring it to family dinners."
"very good and different."