Onion Almond Rounds Recipe
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 loaf (24 ounces) sliced sandwich bread
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon lemon-herb seasoning
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 28 roasted salted almonds
- 1. In a large skillet, saute onions in butter for 7-10 minutes or until golden brown; set aside. With a 2-in. round biscuit cutter, cut 28 circles from bread slices; place on two baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 5-8 minutes or until lightly toasted.
- 2. In a small mixing bowl, combine the cream cheese, chopped almonds, Worcestershire sauce and herb seasoning. Spread 1 rounded teaspoonful over each bread round.
- 3. Top each with onions and about 1/4 teaspoon mayonnaise. Sprinkle with paprika; top each with an almond. Bake at 350° for 5-8 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 28 appetizers.
Editor’s Note: This recipe was tested with Pepperidge Farm Farmhouse Hearty White Bread.
2 each: 277 calories, 15g fat (5g saturated fat), 21mg cholesterol, 384mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein.