Onion lovers will rejoice when they taste this appetizer! Along with their robust flavor, these little rounds can be prepared ahead of time and then popped in the oven shortly before guests arrive. —Edna Coburn, field editor Tucson, Arizona
Recommended: 25 Fast Spring Veggie Sides
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 loaf (24 ounces) sliced sandwich bread
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon lemon-herb seasoning
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 28 roasted salted almonds
- In a large skillet, saute onions in butter for 7-10 minutes or until golden brown; set aside. With a 2-in. round biscuit cutter, cut 28 circles from bread slices; place on two baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 5-8 minutes or until lightly toasted.
- In a small bowl, combine the cream cheese, chopped almonds, Worcestershire sauce and herb seasoning. Spread 1 rounded teaspoonful over each bread round.
- Top each with onions and about 1/4 teaspoon mayonnaise. Sprinkle with paprika; top each with an almond.
- Bake at 350° for 5-8 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 28 appetizers.
Originally published as Onion Almond Rounds in Taste of Home February/March 2007, p58