VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 loaf (24 ounces) sliced sandwich bread
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon lemon-herb seasoning
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 28 roasted salted almonds
- In a large skillet, saute onions in butter for 7-10 minutes or until golden brown; set aside. With a 2-in. round biscuit cutter, cut 28 circles from bread slices; place on two baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 5-8 minutes or until lightly toasted.
- In a small bowl, combine the cream cheese, chopped almonds, Worcestershire sauce and herb seasoning. Spread 1 rounded teaspoonful over each bread round.
- Top each with onions and about 1/4 teaspoon mayonnaise. Sprinkle with paprika; top each with an almond.
- Bake at 350° for 5-8 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 28 appetizers.
Originally published as Onion Almond Rounds in Taste of Home February/March 2007, p58